? Featured Image Photo Credit: Yann Audouin
What is Skyrunning?
Skyrunning stands apart from other mountain running activities. The criteria of a SWS Sky Race are:
- Race Duration: Day-long races with a time limit of 16 hours.Race
- Distance: Sky Races feature distances from 22 km to 66 km to enable full intensity performance throughout the race.
- Race Values: Races are characterised by their technicality, speed, intensity and extreme terrain.
- Altitude (average and maximum reached), peak reach, running on snow/glacier, grade II climbing difficulty and increased elevation percentage are other factors also taken into account when defining a Sky Race.
Piqued your interest and now you want to run a skyrace? Read on to learn more about the race circuit and follow the links at the end of this article for information about each of the individual races that will happen throughout the year. If you think skyrunning is too extreme for you at the moment, check out all the other awesome trail races we have written about instead. You’ll definitely find an event report there that will get you inspired to run the race. You can sort the trail races by distance, location, technical difficulty, and even climate.
RELATED: The Best Trail Running Shoes (The Ultimate Buyers Guide!)
- Be in the Top 30 Men/Women of the Season General Ranking (standing before the Masters)
- Be in the Top 30 Men/Women of the 52-Week Ranking two weeks prior to the Sky Masters
- Be a Top-10 Man/Woman of a SuperSky Race
- Be a Top-5 Man/Woman of a Sky Race
- Be a winner (man and woman) of a nominated race in each SNS Country
- Be the winner (man and woman) of the final ranking of a Skyrunner® National Series
RELATED: Best GPS Watches for Ultrarunning & Trail Running
These races have been specially selected and are worth double points. It’s guaranteed to be a very exciting and competitive circuit and we’re expecting an unforgettable end of season event in Limone!
- 21 Apr – Mt. Awa SkyRace
- 4 May – Yading SkyRun
- 11 May – Transvulcania Ultramarathon
- 19 May – Skyrace Des Matheysins
- 1 June – Madeira Skyrace
- 15 June – Livigno SkyMarathon
- 29 June – Olympus Marathon
- 14 July – Buff Epic Trail 42k
- 21 July – Royal Ultra SkyMarathon Gran Paradiso
- 28 July – SkyRace Comapedrosa
- 3 Aug – Tromsø SkyRace
- 23 Aug – Matterhorn Ultraks «EXTREME»
- 15 Sept – ZacUp SkyRace
- 22 Sept – Pirin Ultra SkyRace
- 5 Oct – Sky Pirineu
- 19 Oct – Limone Extreme SkyRace: The Sky Masters Final