📸 Featured image photo credit: Joao M. Faria
The BUFF® Epic Trail 42KM is a technical and spectacular course with a demanding 3,325m vertical climb. It starts and finishes in Barruera, in the Vall de Boí, a historic site of Romanesque art and UNESCO World Heritage site.
Aigüestortes and Lake Sant Maurici National Park is one of the fourteen national parks in Spain and the only one within Catalonia. Located in the heart of the Pyrenees, it constitutes an excellent example of the typical ecosystems found in these high mountain areas.
Overlooked by peaks more than three thousand meters tall, rivers, ravines, waterfalls and marshes are set among more than 200 mountain lakes of varying shape and colour. A great diversity of animal and vegetal species struggle to survive in the harsh environment giving life to this protected natural area, unique in the South of Europe.
When does it take place?
- July – please check the race website for this year’s exact dates.
Where does the race start?
- Barruera, Spain
Buff Epic Trail 42k Profile
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel
- Distance = 42 km
- Elevation Gain = 3,325m (SuperSky Race)
Buff Epic Trail Reviews
- Buff Epic Trail
- Buff Epic Trail 26k – A Skyrunning Adventure through the Spanish Pyrenees (RACE REPORT)
Compulsory Gear for the Buff Epic Trail 42k
By default, all runners, without exception, must have the following items in order to participate in the BUFF® Epic Trail Marathon.
- All-mountain trail shoes
- Windbreaker with hood
- Reusable Collapsible Soft water cup for liquid refreshments: for environmental reasons, cups will not be provided at the refreshment stations for fluid replacement.
- Hat or tubular buff: which covers the entire head.
- Technical t-shirt: Cotton is not permitted.
Please visit the race website to check you have all items on the list of mandatory gear.
Recommended Gear for this race
- Hydration Pack (Men’s / Women’s)
- Sunscreen cream
- Mobile telephone
- Gloves / Whistle / Poles
- Food reserves: gels, bars, fruit…