Featured image photo credit: Courtesy of Pirin Ultra
Pirin Ultra takes place in the heart of Pirin National park, part of the UNESCO World Heritage List. The route weaves through untamed nature in the wild Pirin Mountains and the start and finish are in Bansko – an oldj town, filled with history, traditions, nestled at the foot of the mountain.
From Bansko, the route attacks the demanding Pirin trails. There are technical sections on ridges and above 2,500m altitude which lead to the highest point of the race – Kuklite Peak at 2,686m.
When does it take place?
- September– please check the race website for this year’s exact dates.
Where does the race start?
- Bansko – Bulgaria
Pirin Ultra SkyRace Profile
- Distance = 66 km
- Elevation Gain = 4,400m
Pirin Ultra SkyRace Reviews
Compulsory Gear for the Pirin Ultra SkyRace
- Waterproof jacket
- Two sources of light/headlamps
- Water container with minimal capacity of 1L
- Space blanket
- Technical Hat or buff that covers the entire head.
- Cell Phone
- First Aid Kit (bandage, tape, lint, analgesic, antihistamine, saline solution).
Please visit the race website to check you have all items on the list of mandatory gear.
Recommended Gear for this race
- All-mountain trail shoes
- Hydration Pack (Men’s / Women’s)
- Food reserves: gels, bars, fruit…
- GPS Device/ watch with the track of the Race and/or a map of the terrain
- Running Poles
- Spare batteries for lights
- Animal Spray