📸 Featured image photo credit: Paulo Abreu
The Madeira Ultra SkyMarathon® is a technical mountain race over steep slopes and trails that perfectly embody the skyrunning sea-to sky concept.
The race, 56 km long with 4,100m vertical climb, includes some passages that require technical grade II climbing expertise. Set in mountain scenery on the island of Madeira, Portugal, the distinct natural environment, combined with the diversified biodiversity and geodiversity resources make it one of the most spectacular locations for this kind of sporting event. The race includes a via Ferrata section below the island’s highest point at 1,861m and traverses a Laurel forest, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
When does it take place?
- June – please check the race website for this year’s exact dates.
Where does the race start?
- Santana – Madeira, Portugal
Madeira Skyrace Profile
- Distance = 55 km
- Elevation Gain = 4,100m
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel
Madeira Skyrace Reviews
Compulsory Gear for the Madeira Skyrace
The required equipment is part of the safety requirements. In order to participate in the event athletes must have the required technical gear in their possession during the race. The organization reserves the right to ask for verification of the equipment during the race, at refreshment stations or on arrival. Participants must cooperate voluntarily with the organization in the verification process otherwise they can be disqualified.
- A race bib to be supplied by the organization and to be placed on the front part of the athlete and visible during the whole race
- Backpack or similar for the transport of equipment
- Water reservoir or equivalent with a minimum capacity of 1 liter
- Thermal blanket (min. 140 x 200 cm)
- Long-sleeved waterproof jacket with a hood
- Working mobile phone (with balance and enough battery)
- Extra nutrition (gels, bars, etc.)
- Cup with minimum 15cl (the organization will not supply cups at refreshment stations)
- 1 Flashlight/headlamp, with extra batteries
Please visit the race website to check you have all items on the list of mandatory gear.
Recommended Gear for this race
- All-mountain trail shoes
- Hydration Pack (Men’s / Women’s)
- Running poles
- Clothing that covers limbs
- Sunscreen cream