The Buff Epic Trail event, and its parent event the Buff Mountain Festival, come together to deliver an excellent mountain trail running festival, set in Spain’s beautiful and wild Aiguestortes National Park, in the Pyrenees.
The four adult trail running races that form the Buff Epic Trail are all run in single-loop courses, starting and finishing from the mountain town of Barruera. Having been there ourselves, we’ve seen and experienced first-hand the fun and energy that the event brings to an otherwise quite mountain venue!
The races themselves are not for the faint-hearted, promising plenty of elevation gain, at a reasonable altitude, and some very technical mountain terrain to navigate. In return, you’re rewarded by the best in Type-2 fun, and an epic mountain adventure.
The Buff Mountain Festival, which takes place on the same weekend, offers plenty of other entertainment and activities for when you’re not running.
When does it take place?
- July – please check the race website for this year’s exact dates.
Where does the race start?
- Barruera, Pyrenees, Spain.
Buff Epic Trail 65km Race Profile
- Distance = 65 km
- Elevation Gain = 5000m
- Cutoff time = 15Hrs (plus other time-out checkpoints)
Buff Epic Trail Marathon 42km Race Profile
- Distance = 42 km
- Elevation Gain = 2900m
- Cutoff time = 9Hrs
Buff Epic Trail Half Marathon (26km) Race Profile
- Distance = 26 km
- Elevation Gain = 1800m
- Cutoff time = 7Hrs
Buff Epic Trail 12km Race Profile
- Distance = 12 km
- Elevation Gain = 480m
- Cutoff time = 5Hrs
Buff Epic Trail Reviews
Recommended Gear for this race
- All-mountain trail shoes or Ultra Running Shoes
- Hydration Pack (Men’s / Women’s)
- Trail Running Poles
- A Buff!
Compulsory Gear for Buff Epic Trail
- Visit the race organizer’s website for the list of mandatory kit. The 65km requires certain clothing and emergency equipment.
- The mandatory kit list for other distances is shorter, mainly to ensure you have appropriate footwear, jacket, headgear (Buff or hat) and water bottles with you.