What are Athletic Greens daily supplement shakes?
Athletic Greens is a daily nutritional supplement in the form of a green powder which you mix with 5-10oz of cold water to form a small shake, designed to be consumed first thing in the morning. I typically mix it with around 6-7oz of water.
When looking for a morning supplement, I was attracted to Athletic Greens because the ingredients are all pure, organic and plant-based, and it is designed with active people in mind. I have used Athletic Greens superfood powder for 30 days and feel ready to share my thoughts on what some call, the best greens powder available.
Why take a dietary supplement in the first place?
I strongly believe that you can and should be able to get all the nutrients your body needs to function at a high level from the normal food you eat each day. Therefore, I am not a proponent of taking vitamin tablets or dietary supplements as a substitute for having a good daily diet and eating the right things.
However, the fact is that sometimes I am very busy, working, training or just running around living life, and at times I probably don’t eat enough of the right things at the right times.
This is especially true when I am traveling for work, spending time in airports, hotels, different climates and time zones, often with less than the ideal amount of sleep. So, before, during and after my work trips, or just at busy periods when I’m doing a lot of training, I opt to take dietary supplements to make sure I am getting enough of the right nutrients and help fend off colds and training injuries.
What’s in Athletic Greens?
We are continually looking to improve our diet and eat only natural, whole-food, plant-based meals, and this extends to any supplements we take and drinks we imbibe.
Athletic Greens is a fine superfood powder made up of 75 vitamins, minerals and whole food sourced ingredients, so I won’t list them all here. But essentially, it is designed to add nutritional value to support key bodily functions such as your immune system, digestion, gut health and energy production and storage.
So many manufacturers are at pains to tell you about the good stuff they contain, but they leave out what else is in the mix, so I always find myself spending ages in the supermarket reading labels (or between-the-lines of labels) to work out what I would be putting in my body if I eat certain products. So, it’s great to find a supplement that is clear on these points – Athletic Greens does not contain GMO ingredients, artificial sweeteners, flavors, or colors – and it is vegan. It also doesn’t contain preservatives, which means that it needs to be kept refrigerated and consumed within a relatively short time period.
How does Athletic Greens taste?
The shakes Athletic Greens produces taste really nice. Not just ‘drinkable’, but delicious – seriously – I look forward to my morning shake, it’s like a nutritious fruit juice – probably because some of the ingredients are various fruit powders and concentrates (including apple, pineapple and cherry). It doesn’t taste sickly sweet or artificial, due to having only natural sweetening ingredients, including Stevia, the plant-based sugar substitute made from the leaves of the Stevia plant.
I love that the powder is vegan and therefore does not contain any dairy, like so many other powdered supplements I have tried. This means you’re not left with that ‘gacky’ “I’ve just consumed dairy” aftertaste in your throat.
Starting the day right
Athletic Greens is intended to be consumed first thing in the morning, before eating anything else.
I find it to be light on my stomach – meaning that if I am on the go and don’t have a chance to eat immediately afterwards, I feel good and not faint or sick, as I can do when taking tablet vitamin supplements without food.
Along with making my bed, a sunrise trail run and a nice warm shower, this shake sets me up for the day!
Benefits I’ve experienced
To some extent, I see the benefits of supplements as being things I don’t experience – such as not getting colds, not feeling unnecessarily tired and not getting spots. Therefore, it’s difficult to assess whether I would have had these things if I had not taken the supplement!
One thing I definitely find when I have used Athletic Greens for a couple of days in a row is that my digestion is much better than normal. I’ve been trying to work out what causes me to have digestive problems, and so I now know that one (or more) of the Athletic Greens ingredients is something I am lacking in my day-to-day diet. I just need to work out what it is, so I can make sure I get it from my food in the future!
I have also historically had phases of low-energy. This is usually the precursor to a cold. Since taking the supplement I have not had these low-energy periods or any colds. Who’s to say whether I would have otherwise had these, but I believe the supplement helps, especially when I’m busy or traveling and not eating particularly well.
Where to buy Athletic Greens and Cost
You can buy Athletic Greens from their website, athleticgreens.com as a one-off pouch or on a monthly subscription (that can be cancelled at any time). The bags provide 30 servings and cost $77/month on a subscription, or $97 as a one-off.
At first glance, $77/month seems like a lot to pay every month. However, if you compare it to the price of a green superfood smoothie/shake from a store or a daily coffee, the Athletic Greens price is pretty good – around $2.57 per day. A green smoothie from my local smoothie place is more than $8, and a coffee is $4, so this is a great deal – and probably much better for me than a coffee from a coffee shop every day.
Athletic Greens is also available on Amazon.com
Athletic Greens - 360g (30 Servings)
- **75 WHOLEFOOD SOURCED INGREDIENTS** 30 day supply of 12g servings | 75 high efficacy ingredients | Athletic Greens is a finely ground, easily dissolved greens powder | It is most effective when taken daily, to consistently nurture your body | Designed to help you adapt as your daily needs change
- **COVERS 5 CRUCIAL AREAS OF HEALTH** 1. Nervous System & Immune System 2. Liver Detox & Digestion, Gut Health 3. Efficient Energy Production & Storage 4. Hormone, Neural & Adaptogen Support 5. Antioxidants & Superfoods to Support Healthy Aging
- **10 YEARS OF RESEARCH** Every ingredient is in the purest form we could source | Formula developed by doctors and nutritionists | Each ingredient has benefits proven by science | Our board of nutrition experts regularly reviews and updates our formula to ensure it's backed by current research | Made in 100% Pure New Zealand
- **NO COMPROMISES** The Athletic Greens ingredients list is long, but you'll find no harmful chemicals, artificial colors, artificial flavors, preservatives, artificial sweeteners or added sugar. | No GMO's, herbicides or pesticides | No fillers | Low allergen | Analytical and microbiological testing on each batch of finished product | We exceed cGMP and meet FDA guidelines by auditing and reviewing every part of the process
- **LIFESTYLE AND DIET FRIENDLY** Paleo/keto/vegan friendly | Gluten and dairy free | No wheat, corn, lactose, sucrose, dextrose, egg, yeast, peanuts or animal products | Low carb and low sugar