One of the biggest trail running events (by participant numbers) in the US, The North Face Endurance Challenge’s ‘San Francisco’ edition is held in and around the beautiful Marin Headlands, which are part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area. Starting in the pictureque coastal town of Sausalito, the races take you along world-class buffed California trails, before bringing you to the finish line via a run across the Golden Gate Bridge.
Race options include the Championship 50 mile and 50km distances, as well as a ‘fast’ trail marathon and half marathon.
In addition to the races summarized below, there are also marathon relay, 10km, 5km and kids races, starting and finishing from Crissy Field, in San Francisco. These races do not go over the Golden Gate Bridge or visit the Marin Headlands, although the relay and 10km do showcase San Francisco’s Presidio (a city park), which provides views of both.
Best Trail Running Shoes: The Ultimate Buyers Guide (Dec 2019)The Best Trail Running Shoes in 2019 (So far): The Ultimate Buyers Guide!
When does it take place?
- November – please check the race website for this year’s exact dates.
Where does the race start?
- Sausalito (Near San Francisco), California.
TNF Endurance Challenge California 50 Mile Race Profile
- Distance = 50 miles
- Elevation Gain = 3,250m / 10,266ft
- Cutoff time = 14Hr
TNF Endurance Challenge California 50km Race Profile
- Distance = 50km
- Elevation Gain = 2,053m / 6,736ft
- Cutoff time = 10Hr
TNF Endurance Challenge California Marathon Race Profile
- Distance = 42 km
- Elevation Gain = 1,527m / 5,010ft
- Cutoff time = 8Hr
TNF Endurance Challenge California Half Marathon Race Profile
- Distance = 21 km
- Elevation Gain = 744m / 2,441ft
- Cutoff time = 4Hr
The gallery below displays some of the scenery you can expect from running in the Marin Headlands.
TNF Endurance Challenge California Reviews
- We’ll write a review when we’ve run the race! We were due to race in 2018 but it was canceled due to bad air conditions resulting from nearby wildfires.
Recommended Gear for this race
- All-mountain trail shoes or Ultra Running Shoes
- Hydration Pack (Men’s / Women’s)
- Trail Running Poles
- A Buff!
Compulsory Gear for TNF Endurance Challenge
- Compulsory gear includes a headlamp for the 50 mile distance. Visit the race organizer’s website for race-by-race gear requirements, in the downloadable course guides.