With Father’s Day just around the corner (Sunday 21st June), there’s not much time left to think of a thoughtful gift that your adventurous dad will truly appreciate. Don’t panic though, we’ve got you covered with these 10 Father’s Day gift ideas for adventurous dads that have been chosen specifically to encourage a fun and active lifestyle.
If your dad enjoys staying active and has an adventurous spirit, then you really can’t go wrong with any of these gift ideas. Oh, and we actively use most of the items on this list ourselves so if you have ANY questions about them, please drop them in the comments below and we’ll get back to you within a few hours.
Without further ado, let’s dive into our top 10 Father’s Day gift ideas for adventurous dads!
1. Leatherman Surge Multi-Tool –
The Leatherman Surge Multi-tool is a super durable multi-tool, made in the USA, that will last for decades, which makes it one of the few gifts you may only be able to buy dad once, there’s a nice sentiment if ever I heard one. The Surge packs in a whopping 21 useful tools into a compact closed size of 4.5-inch size. The multi-tool weighs 12.5 oz (335g) in total, has a knife blade length of 3.1 inches, and can be customized with the Leatherman online customizer tool, like my custom Surge shown in the pictures above and below. Customizations make products so much more fun to gift people, especially when it has their name printed on it or our own Trail & Kale branding. 🙂
The Surge is one of Leatherman’s two largest multi-tools; a real powerhouse, built with their largest pliers, longest multi-tool blades, and easy-to-use locks. A unique blade exchanger, replaceable premium wire cutters, and four outside-opening blades provide quick access to the tools that are generally used the most. The Surge was built for tough jobs and the hands that do them, dad’s…
If you would like to buy an exact replica of our Leatherman Surge with custom Trail & Kale x USA design, click here.
2. KEEN Targhee III Waterproof – $150
This season’s KEEN Targhee III WP hiking boots have the same great fit, durability, and performance of their predecessors but are now even leaner, tougher and grittier. These boots have a fully waterproof yet breathable membrane in the upper to keep your feet dry while allowing perspiration to dissipate away from your skin and socks during hot weather hikes. Whether your dad is a fair-weather hiker or likes to get after it in the rain, these hiking boots will have him covered.
The Targhee III Waterproof hiking boots have stylish leather mud shields too that add protection, ankle support, and durability to the upper construction which, in my opinion, creates a unique and stylish look to the boots.
KEEN all-terrain rubber outsoles with 4mm multidirectional lugs provide high-traction grip on all terrains and in any conditions. These are excellent all-round hiking boots for the price.
KEY STATS: Weight (pair): 35 oz. (992g) / Upper Construction: Oiled nubuck / Fit: True to size
3. LARQ Bottle – The Self-Sterilizing Water Bottle – $95
When it comes to water purification and the odor-neutralization process, the LARQ bottle does it all. This is the purifying water bottle for active folk who want something a little different from all the other insulated water bottles on the market.
The LARQ self-cleaning bottle can fill up from almost anywhere, even on the trails, and will purify your water at the tap of a button. The bottle itself has been designed beautifully and is built to a very high standard. Your dad will be the most stylish hydration bottle owner on the block!
If you think your dad may take it on a hike with him, I recommend getting the LARQ Limited Edition sleeve too, as it will protect the bottle and give him the means to attach it to a backpack.
IN-DEPTH REVIEW: LARQ Bottle Review
LARQ has some great deals on at the moment too (from 6/2 to 6/18) – If you live in the USA, you can get a personalized engraving on a LARQ Bottle for just $5. For the rest of the world you can receive a complimentary Limited Edition Travel Sleeve for every LARQ Bottle or LARQ Bottle Movement purchase. Not valid on Gift Sets, Accessories, or Gift Cards.
4. Randolph U.S. Military-Spec Aviator Matte Black Sunglasses
Randolph Engineering has been a supplier of Aviator sunglasses to the U.S. Military for the past 42 years, and for good reason, their hand-made sunglasses (hand-made in over 200 individual steps) are high-quality, comfortable, and durable, and as a result, very reliable in the field. In my opinion, the new Randolph Aviator matte black frames add a touch of ‘F.B.I.’ to the airforce style Aviator, and what dad wouldn’t want to look like they’re in the FBI!? 🙂
Plenty of celebrities have been spotted wearing Randolph Aviators as their choice of sunglasses too. In fact, I was amazed at how many high-flying stylish men and women actors wore Randolph sunglasses. HERE’s the complete list, but some actors that I myself have noticed wearing Randolph in films and TV Shows are Johnny Depp, Zac Efron, Tom Cruise, Emma Stone, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, Jon Hamm, Jamie Foxx, Amy Adams, Ryan Gosling… ME (haha)…the list goes on!
Why I love my Randolph Matte Black Aviators and why your Dad will too:
- They fit very securely while being active in my day to day or hiking on trails.
- They are very comfortable to wear all day.
- Because they are handmade in the USA, they can be fully customized to get the perfect fit and look for you. There are 3 different frame sizes, 15 lens filters/colors, and 7 frame colors including the brand new matte black.
- The frames and lenses are made from durable scratch-resistant materials.
- They are the best quality sunglasses that are handcrafted in the USA.
- Lenses are UVA and UVB protected and have anti-reflective backside coating which is essential for things like driving and range shooting.
5. Nike Pegasus Trail 2 – Nike’s Latest Road/Trail Hybrid Running Shoes – $130
The Nike Pegasus Trail 2 is versatile enough for everyday training with top durability and responsiveness to runners, trail athletes and outdoor enthusiasts of all kinds. This is the ultimate trail running shoes for those who like to run both road and trail. It has the same Nike React foam as in the Nike Pegasus 36 Trail which provides cushioned responsiveness for a smooth transition, and the extended midsole and outer design gives your feet stability as you take on challenging terrain.
There’s also a pull tab to the rear which helps you pull the shoes on and off, and the rubber outsoles feature a shockwave pattern for a fast, bike tire–inspired look, with nubs that give you traction and a smooth ride between trails and the road
The engineered mesh throughout the uppers is durable and has been designed to increase airflow and drainability so dad’s feet can stay cool and dry on the trails. I love the way the new sock-like heel support and gaiter combo keep grit out of your shoes and repel water with the DWR water repellent coating that’s used.
KEY STATS: Weight: 11.75oz / Drop: 10mm / Support: Neutral
6. Garmin Fenix 6 Pro GPS Watch –
The Garmin Fenix 6 Pro series of GPS watches are our top choice for trail running and hiking with, hence it sitting at the top of our Best GPS Watches for Trail Running Buyer’s Guide. Some features that set the Fenix 6 Pro apart from the competition are:
- Navigation – I love being able to quickly create a course on Garmin Connect, based on heat maps of where other Garmin users love to run the most. I can then transfer that route to my Fenix GPS watch and follow the route with a detailed navigation screen whilst I run. The key difference here is that the navigation screen is so detailed (with proper maps) that it’s nearly impossible to get lost because you can even see the trails/routes you shouldn’t take, rather than just the route your following. I use this feature ALL the time to find and run new trails.
- Pulse OX Sensor – For altitude acclimation or sleep monitoring, a Pulse Ox2 sensor uses light beams at your wrist to gauge how well your body is absorbing oxygen. Super useful when running at altitude or when used as an extra indicator for current fitness levels. ALL Fenix 6 Pro GPS watches now include this as standard, awesome!
- Battery Life – Although all the Fenix 6 Pro watches have more than enough battery life for most people, the Fenix 6X Pro (the larger of the 3 Fenix 6 Pro watches) has the most impressive with up to 60 hours in normal GPS mode and 120 hours in max battery GPS mode which logs GPS location less frequently.
- HR Monitor – The on-wrist heart rate monitor is accurate and more comfortable than a chest strap. This even works underwater, so you can track your heart rate while swimming, now that’s impressive.
- Altimeter, Barometer, Compass, and Actionable Features – For accurate altitude/elevation tracking and weather tracking. When following a programmed course, you can set a real-time ‘ghost’ competitor which shows a marker on the watch to motivate you to keep up with it, this can even be your fastest time running that route, very cool. When navigating a course you can also see the route profile with elevation gained and elevation remaining. I love this for being able to quickly visualize how much climbing I have left to crank out.
Those great features are just some of the reasons why I rate the Garmin Fenix 6 Pro to be the best GPS watch for trail running.
TIP: If you have small wrists or prefer to run minimally with a smaller watch and less weight on your wrist then the Fenix 6S Pro is for you, If on the other hand, you want a slightly larger watch face for a medium-sized wrist then go for the Fenix 6 Pro, and if you want the extended battery life then look at the Fenix 6X Pro.
1 new from $714.99
7. REI Gift Card
An REI Gift Card is a great Father’s Day Gift because you won’t have to guess what the outdoorsiest of dads would like to receive the most. You can either order a Gift Card to be delivered as a physical card, which takes up to 7 days to arrive, OR you can choose to send a digital E-Gift Card, which can be sent directly to your dad within hours. You can also choose how much to load the card up with, the minimum is $10.
Send an REI Gift Card and let dad purchase that thing he’s secretly been pining after.
While surprise gifts can be wonderful to receive, if you buy a gift from REI and it turns out to not be quite what the recipient had in mind, encourage them to say so, and switch it out for an alternative, as REI has an excellent returns policy.
8. Jaybird VISTA True Wireless Earbuds –
If your dad likes to listen to music while running, hiking, or working out, the Jaybird VISTA true wireless headphones are the only way to go if no cables are important. They have an extended battery life of 32 hours, are IPX7 waterproof, sweat-proof, crush-proof, and the lightest, most comfortable true wireless headphones we have ever tested. They’re so good in fact, that they won our Editor’s Choice award, and currently sit at the top of our best wireless headphones for running, and ultrarunning buyer’s guide.
COUPON – GET 11% Off Jaybird VISTA (or any other single Jaybird product) using our links and exclusive coupon code: TrailandKale11 – That’s the BIGGEST Jaybird Sport discount currently available on the Internet.
Pair it with the Mighty Vibe Music Player
If dad doesn’t have the means to play music directly from his GPS Running Watch, or he doesn’t like taking his phone with him on his runs then the Mighty Vibe music player is a very small and lightweight way to take music from Spotify or Amazon Music with him as he runs or works out.
9. Rokform Crystal Case – Phone Protector – $39.99
We love the Rokform Crystal Case, let me explain why your Dad will too. First off, if you’re an active person yourself, you probably already know it’s important to have a protective case on your phone. I for one am always on the move, and I’m always pulling out my phone to take pictures or make/receive calls, and it only takes one accidental drop and you’ve got a hefty expense for repair or replacement.
While this case is very protective, it also has a very slim and lightweight design, which means it fits easily into most pockets. If your dad likes to run then he’ll probably want a slim case so it fits in his shorts pocket and won’t weigh him down.
In addition to effortlessly slipping into and out of your pocket, the Crystal Case will grip any magnetic surface! Until I got this case I didn’t realize how many uses a magnetic phone case could have. For example, use your phone as a non-obtrusive GPS navigation device in your car with the Super grip phone vent mount, stick your device to the fridge and use it as a recipe book in the kitchen.
3 new from $39.99
10. Republic of Durable Goods Mock One Hammock – $149.98
The Mock ONE is the world’s most compact portable hammock that doesn’t need trees to pitch. We love how the comfortable parachute nylon hammock fabric wraps and cradles you as you chill, read a book, play on your phone, or stargaze.
The compact size and small footprint mean you can set it up in more places and transport it with ease, especially with the carry sling that it comes with. There’s also a large under-basket, dual cup holders, and side hammock pockets to keep your things accessible and up, off of the ground.
It comes with a UPF 50+ Adjustable Sun Shade to keep your face protected from the sun too. This is the ultimate way for your dad to elevate his post-adventure relaxation game!
*BONUS* – Trail & Kale Trucker Hat – $26.99
A small but very useful Father’s day gift is a trucker hat. Truckers are great for keeping rain, sun, and sweat out of your eyes and face while on the trails, they also look really cool. Our Classic Trucker is available in 4 color combinations but if you’re after a more stealthy look, then check out our Stealth Edition Trucker.
We designed our more subtle, yet distinctive “Stealth Edition” Trucker hat for those who like to fly more under the radar. You can buy it in any color, as long as it’s black (and very stealthy). It features the Trail & Kale Mountain logo embroidered in a grey/silver color on the front. All Trail & Kale merchandise ships worldwide!
If you think dad may prefer a more technical hat for running or hikes, see our technical running cap gear guide for some inspiration.